On my first free Sunday, I ended up going with the whole family, mom dad sister brother and cousin, to San Jose. We walked around the Mall San Pedro then got real classy and got some KFC. After that we ended up at my host mom's sister's house where her entire family of 3 sisters and 4 brothers (with children and grandchildren) gather every Sunday afternoon. I counted 26 people in the tiny house at one point.
They talked about me being Chinese, which was nice. I was glad to get that acknowledged bc nobody else has talked about it and I thought that was strange. They said that while I was "china" I was the same thing as a gringa, therefore cementing my belonging in my group of volunteers. I am happy for that.
As far as the catching baby thing, this is true. My host mom's eldest child came with her 3 month old daughter and literally, I heard my name across the room and suddenly a little tiny baby was dropped in my arms. I was still reclining in my chair and it came at me with such speed my feet kicked up to hold her.
We didn't get back until 9 o'clock. And that family is amazingly fun and loud and crazy (imagine 10 people simultaneously yelling at me LAY-AH? LAILA? LAYAH?!!) I was asleep in bed by 9:30. Ting family gatherings are not so boisterous.
1 comment:
WHATD YOU EAT AT KFC!?
Post a Comment