Most of you know this by now, but the contract has been resigned. I am slated to start teaching next Wednesday at Buenavista. I´m pretty tired from this mind game of psyching myself in and out of things, as evident from me sleeping the entire way, both ways, on the 3 hour bus ride today.
This morning I caught a ride with Flor and the milkman Alby (who along with the other town milkman Hilario, turns out to be my host uncle) into San Isidro. I then touched base in San Jose to collect my stuff and an hour later I was on the next bus back here in San Isidro.
Mixing it up this time, staying in a different hotel and now am at a different internet cafe.
I bumped into my host dad Juan here after making him yell, chase me, and then run alongside me for a block. Tico men here in the city are relentless and kind of scary so I´m used to trying to get away from them. But it was just poor Juan. I feel really bad, probably worse than I should. He is that harmless one from Where the Wild Things Are, let's not forget. Anyways, couldnt catch a ride with him today because big backpacks aren´t conducive to motos.
Will be loading pictures sometime of my tour around Buenavista. My brother Marlon (age 7) and I also went on an hour long hike and I took lots of pictures then too. Little kids here are the cutest- they give you big kisses when they see you and last night a girl I was walking by picked me 2 small flowers and handed them to me, "Un regalo!".
Went to dinner in the restaurant beneath my hotel and drew the attention of a maybe creepy maybe just that weird older guy named Gary. He's been living here in Costa Rica for the past 20 years. He said he graduated college at 19. He also said he worked 100 hours a week in business for 10 years and then retired at age 30. But that was after he got a full-ride grant for his Doctorate in Psych (which he didn't finish)? He also said he just finished a novel. He also apparently wants to be the voice actor for the audiobook of his novel, which he plans to give away for free and "not make a dime." He talked my ear off for over an hour. Highlights:
"It is a life changing experience to make eyecontact with a howler monkey."
"I just came back from my biannual trip to San Jose. I don't like it there but it's the only place to go and buy huge sacks of exotic Chinese mushrooms!" (of course he's vegan)
"I know you look anxious to leave. I'll give you my contact information, and I can also give you information of people who've stayed with me before who I haven't killed or done anything weird to."
So that's that...
Also, disclaimer: Starting now this blog will not be updated so much. I´ll be checking my emails and having internet access only on Saturdays. But please do not hesitate to call me at 011-506-2772-3927. I¨ll be waiting...
UPDATE: Pictures up on Picasa
No comments:
Post a Comment