Sunday, February 14, 2010

La Explo and Homelessness

This weekend me and a fellow volunteer went to La Explo, a yearly cowboy festival in San Isidro. Flor and Juan made it sound better than Oz so I was happy Amanda called with news of a hotel room. Bull fights, horse competitions and parades, dog shows, cows for show and for sale, their leather being sold (I bought a wallet...) being amongst the festivities. Its funny how cowboy are always the same no matter what country you´re in. Why is that?

It was also pouring all day yesterday so we scampered from awning to awning getting soaking wet and sloshed around in mud and maybe manure in our flipflops. We got some random food (raw sugar cane, giant pancake with sour cream, chop suey?), listened to live cowboy music, drank some beer, watched gogo dancers for a while and were back at the hotel by 9:30. (Hey, I wake up at 5 every morning)

Now I´ve been back in San Isidro waiting for my bus (3 1/2 hours so far). 95% of places here are closed and I still have an hour and a half to go. Thank god for slow service in restaurants and this internet cafe.

No comments: