Saturday, February 13, 2010

Journal Entry from Friday, February 12, 2010


So, first (half) week as the new maestra at Escuela Buena Vista. Talked about this at length already so here’s an uninspired summary:
1)                  First day I spent hopelessly confused. School started 20 minutes late, and then we played a variant of Duck Duck Goose and London Bridge for an HOUR. Then the kids had a 30 minute recess? I was most confused when all the students would disappear for lengths at a time. After a while I stopped trying to figure things out and just sat in my room readying myself to teach if kids came (They did, I met with ¾ my classes). During another mysterious lull I went and got lunch, half expecting to find my 2nd/3rd grade class waiting for me when I got back. They weren’t and they didn’t, I saw them leave for the day a little while later. The last few days have been better since we’re settling into a routine. And we’re splitting up my 2nd and 3rd grade because there are 21 of them and they’re a complete circus. They’ll be paired with other grades with less students. The pairing stands as this: 1st/2nd, 3rd, 5th, 4th/6th
2)                  Yesterday was the parent meeting/social execution of the school director. 2 ½ hours of parents insulting him and questioning his competency. The best part of the story is that the light wasn’t working in the room so for the last hour we all sat in semi darkness. That part makes me smile.
3)                  I am obsessed with my 6th grade class. I was a punk in 6th grade. These kids are genuinely good people. There is a special needs girl in our class and they are so patient with her and bend over backwards to help her. Apparently last year’s 6th grade were the absolute worst, so I lucked out. Today we learned and sang the chorus of Lady Gaga’s “Telephone” because Telephone Manners was out lesson’s theme. They loved it, especially when I made the 3 boys do it alone. They are exactly what I need as my last class of the day.

Thank GOD it’s Friday. Just ate way too much queso fresco and one of these homemade roll/biscuit things that are pretty incredible. I also have a new honorable mention of deliciousness. Now for breakfast I have a tortilla and an egg torta with chives and green onions in it and I want to eat them forever.

Pictures up on Picasa of my room and my house. It’s pretty sweet. I am very comfortable here and am not roughing it at all. Some of my other WT volunteer friends literally live in shacks. People here are poor but you would have no idea from their houses, from the couple that I’ve seen. They are kept immaculate and people save up for years, sometimes decades, for them. Juan and Flor are no different.

http://picasaweb.google.com/leia.ting/ContigoAlSalonComunal?authkey=Gv1sRgCMr9nfKq0Jzz_gE&feat=directlink

No comments: