Monday, July 26, 2010

Journal from Monday, July 26, 2010

5:37 pm: I was cleaning the room bc the dead bug smell was getting bad again and I found this thin, curvy black thing stuck to my floor. I was afraid it was a dead babosa (slug) and so I called Juan and Marlon in and it became a huge big scene involving a wire to pick at it, a piece of paper to put on it, and just a lot of drama> The three of us crowded into my half bath and didn’t talk while we poked at it for 5 minutes. What it was, we’ll never know, but it literally might have been a rubber off my boot. I apologized to Juan for causing a fuss, and feeling silly and squeamish, I started to pick up where I left off and immediately found a big, old, fat babosa laying on my laundry. Second guessing myself, I composedly called Flor in. When she confirmed what it was by saying “Ohh NOOO…” me and Marlon ran out screaming and she took care of it.

Flor and Juan think the slugs are coming up through the drain hole in my unusable shower. “Do you think they can really fit?” I asked, “the spaces are very thin.” I held up my thumb and fore finger very close together and squinted to get my point across. In response, Flor made an ugly slug face while crouching and then slowly elongated herself and said “Yes because they can make themselves really long and--” I didn’t let her finish and ran away to wash my hands. Thinking about these things crawling up into my bedroom every night sounds like something from a B horror movie but terrible nonetheless.

I swear I’m not a huge baby with insects. I’ve been warring against my room’s resident very large cockroach since Wednesday. I slept in my bed after I saw it scuttle under my pillow and crawl under my bed. I continued to type on my computer after it scuttled by my hand and disappeared. The end of our war wasn’t as heroic as I would have liked, but at least I did try to give it a few hard hits with my dictionary and with my foot. (It fell into my other laundry basket after I swatted at it. The laundry was full so I just put my laundry basket outside. Did laundry today and found no cockroach so he must have went on his merry way.)

I've realized I've wasted too much time thinking about, writing about, and posting about slugs. But they really, really, gross me out. That is all.

No comments: