Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Decomposition

The smell of my room has been building slowly and steadily for the
past few weeks. It is a really strong, musky, earthy smell that makes
your nostrils flare. I knew where it was coming from, my unused shower
in my half bath that I use for storage. Flor had told me to sweep the
bugs out of my room because their corpses smell bad when decomposing
but I've been too afraid to clean up there, scared of what I'd find.

Today, in total Tica fashion, the English teacher of the next town
over stopped by unexpectedly to chat and we ended up in my room. I was
horribly embarrassed by the smell, and when she left I went in mission
mode to clean it up.

I found what I expected, a bunch of dead, fat insects with their parts
being carried away at by hordes of the ants here that are so tiny you
can barely see them. Swept those up, organized my things into trash
bags, and sprayed some Michael Kors perfume around for good measure.

I also freaked out and threw my super big and thick blanket in the
washing machine that was smelling musty as well. I knew it was a
mistake as I was planning it but I didn't care. I just finished
spending a half hour trying to wring it out, it probably weighs more
than 30 pounds. Flor says she'll get Juan to help us MOVE it. She
seems annoyed at me, and for good reason, but I don't care. I needed
to get that blanket away from my face.

So that's what I did today.

No comments: