Wednesday, December 16, 2009

My Placement Site


So I just found out about my placement site. I will be in Buena Vista de Rivas which  is a mountain town in the Central Pacific region of the country. It is located in the Cordillera Talamanca mountain range and neighbored by Mount Chirripo, the tallest mountain in Costa Rica. Here are some quotes from the letter I received about the site:


Site Description:  • Buena Vista de Rivas is in the county of San Isidro de El General. The climate requires a jacket for most of the day and especially in the evenings. The population of Buena Vista is about 300 people, with about 150 students in the local colegio. The Buena Vista School (my school) has about 67 students. The school has two teachers who each teach three grades, the English volunteer, the kindergarten teacher, a special education teacher and a school cook.




Communication:  It is expensive to call the states from Costa Rica. It is better to use Skype when you go into San Isidro or have people call you. You’ll be able to get calls at the school or at your family’s house.
This is great news! So please feel free to call me anytime before 8pm Costa Rica time (1 hour behind NY time) when most Ticos start to wind down for bed.
My family's number is: 2772-3927, My school's number is: 2770-5678 so you would dial:
011-506-_ _ _ _-_ _ _ _


About my host family:
Flor del Carmen Mora Blanco, her husband Juan Ureña Vlloa, and their son Marlon, age 6.
Mailing Address:       Contigo al Salon Comunal
Buena Vista de Rivas
Perez Zeledón, San Jose
Costa Rica


 While this is very informative and exciting, I'm finding it hard to be excited about this news. This is the type of placement I wanted and told everybody about, but the idea of leaving the people i love here is something i am starting to dread.












No comments: